2016 Around the world solo non-stop without assistance

Articles > Tanguy de Lamotte: " A slow finish "

Tanguy de Lamotte: " A slow finish "

Articles |

Initiatives-coeur skipper Tanguy de Lamotte is the next sailor expected to cross the Vendée Globe finish line. In this Monday morning interview, he talks about his sailing conditions, his last moments at sea and the latest news regarding his rudder and pump issues.

Comments 6

Stratification Tanguy
© Tanguy de Lamotte / Initiatives-Coeur

On his technical issues and conditions the day before
Yesterday I had to throw my pump away, it just wasn’t working anymore, so I took a pump from another ballast. Apart from that, yesterday was a great day of sailing, without any cloud, clear sky, between 10 and 12 knots of wind. In the evening, I gybed northwest, which turned out to be very difficult, especially mentally, because I was too close to the high pressure area. I eventually had to move away from it.

 

On his current sailing conditions and state of mind
I’m currently facing 15-to-18-knot wind, which is pretty good, and it looks like I’ll be able to stay on this gybe for a couple of days, until I reach the Azores. I think I’m going to have another very nice day today, the sun is coming up, I’m definitely enjoying it, enjoying the sailing. The finish doesn’t seem too far or too close right now, it’s perfect.

 

On what is coming next
I should have 5 to 10 knots on wind in the end, so it will be a pretty slow finish for me, it's going to take me some time to get to Les Sables d'Olonne. I'm preparing for that, I know I can't expect 50 knots. I'm getting as much rest as I can, physically, because I'm still tired from all my rudder issues. Things are getting better and better, even though the cuts and bruises I have are not healing as fast as I thought they would.

 

On his ETA
I haven't worked on that yet today, I'm waiting for the latest weather files but I'm still expecting to cross the finish line this coming week-end. There is some uncertainty regarding the weather until Thursday but the last files I looked at showed I could still go through, which would mean my ETA would be next Saturday, in the afternoon or the evening. But it's still too far away, I don't like to start making plans for such a long-term thing.

On an ongoing basis

1/276 > All the news

NEWSLETTER

Twitter

Facebook